Tuesday, February 10, 2009

In the desert, you can't remember your name

Hello Sportsfans. Maybe its the euphoria I feel after smoking shisha like crazy, but today was just, an awesome day. It may or may not be one of the best times I've had in my life. And the cool part, was that I was on my own. I went on a desert safari. We drove out...waaaay out into the desert, away from the city, where FINALLY I got to lay my eyes on the sand dunes that I've been wanting to see. And also frolic in. I think we all need a little sand in our lives.
First we went "Dune Bashing" which is basically that car in that picture driving ridiculously up and down the dunes, it's actually like turning your car into a rollercoaster. And I don't get sick on rides, and by the end of it I was talking myself out of puking all over the place. At least 3 times I thought we were done, I thought we were going to f*@#ing role down a sand dune. But we made it to the tallest of dunes, where we were encouraged to try Sandboarding! YES finally...I was handed the only pink board...its like...they just knew. And everyone else was too afraid to do it, and I was like..alright....FOR CANADA lol
Oh wait we're not there yet. Are these shots not money shots or what. The desert is beautiful. Which is odd because it's really just sand but oh man, I'll never wash these eyes again.
Tire tracks
I trudged along in the sand trying to get different shots till I saw my own footprints in the sand! OR this is where Jesus was carrying me. lol.
oh right...FOR CANADA! I exclaimed. "Gee" I said to the tour guide...it sure seems steep. Like, really steep, and not quite my bunny hill standards. And I didn't know how fast I was going to go, if it was okay to fall face first into sand. Eff it I'm going.
OMG I'm doing it wooooo. The whole time everyone was yelling at me and cheering and asking me to turn around and look at the camera? eff you...do you see those tire tracks ahead? I was heading straight for them.
I...I Made it! I have beginners luck. It was then that I immediately regreted going ALL the way down the sand dune, as most people only went about a 3rd of the way down then chickened out. Do you know what its like to walk up a sand dune? Well let me tell you. The sand moves, you don't. My shoes and socks were completely filled with sand, and I was going nowhere. I was completely out of breath by the time I made it to the top, chugged a Red Bull at what turned out to be the worst idea ever because right after that the guy goes, "Alright MORE DUNE BASHING" which is when I had to talk myself out of puking...
When we got to base camp, and I didn't puke, there was a lady doing henna in one of the bedouin tents. Oh I should explain that...the camp was a traditional Bedouin camp with tents, and pillows on the ground etc. Supposedly the way of life in the desert...you know, before they discovered they were riding camels over a butt load of oil. Then I was like...should I? shouldn't I? YEAH I SHOULD RIDE THE CAMEL.
A guy from Illinois offered to take pics for me while I was camel riding. This was probably the best picture...sadly...because the rest of them were me struggling to get on the camel...to get off the camel...at least they sit down first so you can get on them. Unlike horses. Lazy horses. Anyway...The camel had a name but I'm just gonna call her Sally the Camel. Look she's totally smiling in the picture. (Probably because she knew I was the last person that was going to ride her that day)

This was our camp....getting ready for a tradish dinner. Travelling alone, it helps to make friends. I think its almost easier to meet people...I don't know if people feel sympathetic towards people on their own, but everyone was asking me where I was from...I've met people from all over the world on this trip. Oh yeah, after struggling I mean getting off the camel, I noticed I totally screwed up my henna. LUCKILY I made friends with one of the cute Arab boys that worked there and after some convo in broken english I explained to him my henna-uation. He said he would take care of it. And I got the girl to re-do it for me. hehehe. Note to self: In the future, Came ride first. Henna second. You never know when that may come up again.
Then we had dinner. Which I didn't take pictures of...but it was scrumptious. Then after dinner we had dessert. Dessert in the desert. And then came the Belly Dancer. The girl moved so fast this was the only picture I could get of her...it does look cool though. She dragged all the guys onstage, all the girls up there, and at the end we ALL got up and danced. It was really fun!
After dancing, they called for Shisha smoking. OH GOD YES. I ran over there, and met a guy from the Netherlands who shared the hooka with me, until they gave me my own. Shisha anyone?

mmm so good. It was apple flavour. I felt so relaxed afterward, I didn't even notice that the entire camp had cleared, and everyone was waiting in the 4x4s to go home and there I was just smoking away like the caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland.
Luckily the guy next to me had a similar camera as me and offered to take a pic for me! And here it is! thanks random guy who I think was German!

Anyway friends, I'm pretty tuckered. Also it has come to my attention that way more people read this blog than I thought! If that's the case, COMMENT! I live off that stuff! gimme somethin here people!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

SMOKE IT!
And well done on the Neil Young reference.

Jae.S said...

i knew you would kill the sandboarding...you owned that bunny hill the first time you went down...*sigh* here I am doing math homework and your out in the desert smoking a hooka...amazing!

love the desert pictures...ps. you must be effing dark lol

Anonymous said...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamazing!!!

amanda ds said...

haha..Oh! you saw what I did there with the Neil Young reference Femmer?

Anonymous said...

MANDA!
ive been reading about ur trip ever since the first blog.. its my homepage on my computer so i see it everytime i log on.. awesome.. the desert looks crazy. and i cant wait for more pictures! when do u return again? march?.. soo close yet so far away!
-neil

Raymond Andrew de Souza said...

oh man! that dessert picture with the tire tracks should be sent to various places including 1x.com! register there and post that picture please!

Anonymous said...

please can i come sandboarding and smoke shisha next time?
i have to ask this question and i don't care who's reading it but.... what happens on an entire day/night trip in the dessert when you're a chick and possibly enjoying the musical Ragtime?

Anonymous said...

P.s
sweet Black DC's you're wearing there. i recognize these as once mine. perfect for sandboarding!

Lara Michelle Dias said...

Are those croc flip flops you're wearing? gasp...where are the pics from Goa???